The CFPB just nicked American Express. The following article describes penalties to be paid back to consumers for violations dating back to 2003 by American Express
As the article describes, American Express was found to have violated federal laws by using false statement to get customers to settle old debts. They were found to have falsely told customers that if they agreed to settlements to partially pay off their debts, the remaining balance would be forgiven. As a result of these false statements American Express will be sending out $112.5 million dollars to about 250,000 cardholders affected by this illegal behavior. If you are one of those entitled to a refund, you will be given notice in the mail soon.
Latest posts by Kevin Fallon McCarthy (see all)
- Public Servants’ Second Chance at Federal Student Loan Forgiveness - April 10, 2018
- CREDIT CARD LOSS FOR SMALL BANKS AT AN EIGHT YEAR HIGH - March 22, 2018
- Rise of the Jumbo Student Loans - March 17, 2018
- Credit Card Market: Now and Then - February 23, 2018
- Make Your Credit Cards Work for You - January 23, 2018