Tax season is here. As we are all looking for ways for get the biggest refund possible here’s one deduction that may help. Fees paid for debt settlement services are tax deductible starting this year, 2013. The decision came from a 2012 United States Tax Court Case.
In the case, the petitioner wanted to write off fees paid to a debt settlement company whose services resulted in the successful reduction of credit card debt. The court found that because the debt settlement company’s efforts directly resulted in a $6,753 reduction of debt, their fees of $2,343 qualified as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.
If you are in debt contact a qualified debt settlement attorney. A qualified debt settlement attorney can successfully negotiate large reductions in the balance of a debt. In addition, their fees are now tax deductible further helping consumers get out of debt faster. It’s a win-win situation.
Kevin Fallon McCarthy
Latest posts by Kevin Fallon McCarthy (see all)
- Public Servants’ Second Chance at Federal Student Loan Forgiveness - April 10, 2018
- CREDIT CARD LOSS FOR SMALL BANKS AT AN EIGHT YEAR HIGH - March 22, 2018
- Rise of the Jumbo Student Loans - March 17, 2018
- Credit Card Market: Now and Then - February 23, 2018
- Make Your Credit Cards Work for You - January 23, 2018